Saturday, November 8, 2008

Pasta E Fagioli


I had lunch at the Olive Garden a few weeks ago, and had this wonderful soup. It was so good I thought it would work well for a group I had coming over. I searched the web and found a copy cat recipe. I made just a few changes to it and it really did taste like the real thing. This soup is really very easy to make and is delicious.

Pasta E Fagioli

3 teaspoons oil
2 lbs ground beef
14 ounces carrots, slivered
12 ounces onions, chopped
14 ounces celery, diced
48 ounces diced canned tomatoes
2 cups red kidney beans
2 cups white kidney beans
88 ounces beef stock
3 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 1/2 teaspoons pepper
5 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
48 ounces spaghetti sauce
8 ounces dry pasta shell macaroni, cooked as directed

Sauté beef in oil in large 10 quart pot until beef starts to brown.
Add onions, carrots, celery and tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Drain and rinse beans and add to pot. Also add beef stock, oregano, rosemary, garlic, pepper, Tabasco and spaghetti sauce.
Simmer until celery and carrots are tender, about 45 minutes.
Add pasta about 10 minutes before serving.
Grate fresh Romano or Parmesan cheese onto soup before serving.

This recipe makes 9 quarts! I served it to 12 people and still had plenty for another meal. A friend of mine made it and said it freezes well. If I was making it for just my family I would half it and there would still be a generous amount.

* It's a 10!





6 comments:

Nicole said...

I use that exact recipe and I love it!!! My whole family now uses it and there isn't anything I would change about it.

Mary / Mariah said...

Thanks for stoping in and Happy Birthday tomorrow . I hope you have a great day .
My brother was born on Thanksgiving when I was 4 . He didn't live long , about 18 hours .
We had foster children living with us .
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your's .
Mary

Mandy said...

YUM! We make this soup a lot, too, and it's one of my kids' favorites. I hope you had a great birthday!:)

Lisa said...

I am not crazy about the Olive Garden however I love their soup and salad. This looks delicious.

Amanda said...

I love this soup too :) When I worked in the office world many years ago we used to go to Olive Garden once a week for lunch. Soup, salad and bread sticks, and of course I always had this soup :)

Pennies In My Pocket said...

Oooooo YUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMM! Definitely trying this one!

~melody~